Our research- and reading service reopens on June 15th following the closure issued by the Hungarian government in order to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic.
From June 15th, the opening hours of research- and reading room is as follows:
The research- and reading room (the database, the archive, and the Library) takes requests via e-mail.
The Archive of the Museum is available with a valid research permission. Address: 1117 Budapest, Kaposvár Street 13–15.
Our research regulation and the research permission are downloadable at the bottom of the page.
The libraries of our member institutes can be visited after prior consultation. Making an appointment is possible via e-mail or telephone:
Telephone: +36 70 702 40 21
Research permissions are to be senbt to the above e-mail address as well!
About our library:
The role of the scientific reference library is rather versatile. As part of the collection of the museum, it collects the historical values of the literature of the profession, its special publications, and rarities for safekeeping, professional processing, and publishing. As a reference library, regarding scientific literature, it is a basis and tool of scientific research work going on in the institute. Moreover, it serves public educational tasks as well in disseminating knowledge and reader service, while also guaranteeing a background to the state-of-art scientific research work going on in the museum. To satisfy readers’ needs is the key to every library-activity. Our readers are employees of the museum, transport history-researchers, university students writing their theses, model makers, lovers of old-timer automobiles, motorcycles, and locomotives.
The main interest of the library is texts on transportation but we also collect literature of Hungarian history of technology. Of those texts which are not of historical aspect we collect Hungarian or related publications retrospectively, possibly completely, while texts in foreign languages are representatively selected publications which are more significant, scientifically valuable, and of comprehensive character. We retrospectively collect Hungarian museum publications and foreign ones which come from significant, general transport museums that have technical and transport historical collections. As of magazines, we collect all Hungarian transport- and technology-related publications, while other magazines are ordered after carefully selected by museologists – according to their needs. As we are a reference library, the dominance of foreign language texts is natural. The predominance of German language is observable, however, in case of magazines, this ratio is modified. From the beginning of the 20th century two transport sectors have rapidly started developing – these are mechanically driven road traffic and air transport. These sectors have resulted in the publication of several magazines in English, then in French, and Russian.
In recent years, we have built our relations with most Budapest-based libraries. We maintain relations with more foreign libraries of transport and technology, and we participate in interlibrary borrowing.
In: Barkóczi Jolán–Tisza István: A Közlekedési Múzeum tudományos szakkönyvtára in A Közlekedési Múzeum évkönyve 10. - 1896-1996. szerk. Hüttl Pál, pp. 223-235.
About our Archive:
The material of our archive is extremely rich, diverse, and varied; it is a real source of treasures for a researcher of the history of technology. The collections are open to the public as well, it is available to everyone. Our museum is aiming to present not only the development of technology – as opposed to many famous foreign museums – but the cultural historical role of national transport: the changing landscape, and in it the person building and forming their environment, who uses technology for their own progress. Beside the improvement of means of transport our collection wishes to picture the advantages, meaning, and beauty of travelling – this endeavour is characteristic of our institute for a long time.
Our gallery is broadening continuously, the museum has collected photographs since the beginning. The museum had no permanent photographer, the institute commissioned famous artists to take pictures. A supplement, in many ways pursuer, of the gallery is our immensely valuable storage of negatives. These two together contain the complete collection of pictures belonging to the museum but several watercolours and oil paintings enrich our collection as well.
A characteristic and important group in our collection is the map collection (containing almost four thousand pieces) which is the same age as the museum itself. Our collection of records is also significant. As it appears from its name, this group includes documents which attest to certain transport historical event, of the phases of a transport sector, or the history of a means of transport with authenticity. Our poster collection and our postcard collection are characteristic special collections of our museum but it also incorporates brochure collections, small print collections, manuscript collection, audio tape- and record collection, technical drawing collection, parts catalogue, and technical drawing albums.
In: Dr. Eperjesi László: Az archívum in A Közlekedési Múzeum évkönyve 10. - 1896-1996. szerk. Hüttl Pál, pp. 203-223.